fedora errors

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Fri Jul 11 20:55:18 UTC 2008

Mark Haney wrote:
> Glen Grantham wrote:
>> My system is an AMD 64 Athlon X2 4600+ on a
>> GIGABYTE  S-Series GA-MA74GM-S2H motherboard
>> with a 320GB EIDE WD Caviar SE 7200RPM Hard Drive
>>
>> 64 bit Fedora Linux Identity Kit
>>
>> ERROR List from upgrade after initial installing system with Fedora 8
>>
>> When I try to install the 280 or so upgraded pacaages I get this:
>>
>> file /usr/lib/libnm-util.so.0.0.0 from install of
>> NetworkManager-glib-0.7.0-0.6.9.svn3675.fc8 conflicts with file from
>> package NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.5.svn3030.fc8
>> file /etc/dbus-1/system.d/NetworkManager.conf from install of
>> NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.6.9.svn3675.fc8 conflicts with file from package
>
> Well, we didn't really need every single line, since most of them are
> similar to the first 2 or three listed.  However, try removing Network
> Manager and then installing it.  That should get you the upgraded
> version and getting rid of the errors you are seeing.

The problem is that NM does NOT provide the 32-bit libraries any more in
the multilib (64- and 32-bit) environment.  To fix:

	yum remove NetworkManager.i386

since you don't need the 32-bit version.  Then "yum update" should work.

- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-        Brain:  The organ with which we think that we think.        -