Network interface does not auto-activate when computer starts in FC9

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Sat Jul 12 03:06:24 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 18:04 -0700, Aldo Foot wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Ali, Saqib <docbook.xml at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I just upgraded to FC9, and the network interface no longer activates
> > when the computer starts. In the Network Configuration -> eth0 -> Edit
> > -> General the "Activate device when computer starts" checkbox is
> > checked. Also the ONBOOT is set to yes in the
> > "/etc/sysconfig/network-script/ifcfg-eth0".
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > saqib
> > http://doctrina.wordpress.com/
>
> check that the network service is on.
>   chkconfig --list | grep network.

Or just

        chkconfig --list network

By default, it's not on in F9, NetworkManager is instead.  The simplest
fix is probably to

        chkconfig NetworkManager off
        chkconfig network on

and reboot.  NetworkManager *should* work, but it appears to require
some tweaking to start interfaces at boot, and I haven't had a chance to
look into it yet.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences