Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Jonathan Roberts jonrob at fedoraproject.org
Sun Jul 13 20:37:33 UTC 2008

>        My opinion is that it's political in nature.  GNU doesn't like Red
> Hat and, by extension, anything that Red Hat contributes to.  OC, I have
> absolutely no proof nor reason for this opinion.  But it's a gut feel.

Not the case.

The situation with Fedora and the FSF is, as I understand it:

 * Fedora allows some non-free firmware in the distribution, the
policy under which this is allowed was linked to in a previous message
in this thread
 * The FSF will not give "free" status to any distribution that
explicitly allows non-free firmware in it
 * Fedora people have been in touch to discuss this with them, and
progress has been made.

Rahul Sundaram is the one who's worked on this, and I'm sure he knows
the details so perhaps he might post so we're crystal clear :)

Best,

Jon