Fedora 9 Install RAID Size Error

Tim Berryhill tbgmane at aartwolf.com
Sat Jul 12 22:34:27 UTC 2008

Fedora 9 install is failing on a new machine.  I suspect the problem is
related to my RAID's.  I have two small, fast drives in a RAID 0 600GB
array, partitioned into two drives which currently hold Vista and XP.  I
have three large, slow drives in a RAID 5 1.4TB array, as a single
partition currently holding ISO's of Fedora 7, 8 and 9 and not much else.
The RAID's are defined in the BIOS, using the Intel ICH9.  The Fedora
installs get past the media check (DVD is fine, it says).  I select English
and the us keyboard, and get no further response on that console.

Randomly pressing keys, I realized <alt>-F4 offered me this clear statement:
<6>sde: rw=0, want=2930284536, limit=1465149168
<6>attempt to access beyond end of device

Then I discovered <alt>-F2 gave me a shell prompt.
After the install "hangs," /dev includes sda, sda1, sda2, sdb, sdc, sdc1,
sdd and sde.
fdisk -l thinks sda is 300GB, roughly evenly divided into sda1 and sda2.
fdisk -l thinks sdb is 300GB without a partition table.
fdisk -l thinks sdc is 750GB with a single large partition.  The last block
number is very similar to the "limit" on the <6>sde error message.
fdisk -l thinks sdd is 750GB, without a partition table.
fdisk -l thinks sde is 750GB with a single large partition.  The last block
number is very similar to the "limit" on the <6>sde error message.

So, it seems like my small array and my large array are each twice as big as
Fedora sees, and at least in one section of code, Fedora performs a seek to
a block which is outside the limit Fedora saw but near the end of the
actual array.

How am I misleading Fedora regarding my block counts?  I would prefer not to
let Fedora define the array (lvm) because I use several OSes (anybody want
a copy of OS/2?), and I do not see that inserting a hardware RAID
controller would help, so I am hoping for something like a "count all the
blocks" switch to add on the install command.