how come Sys -> Adm -> Display can't see the full resolution?

Dave Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Mon Jul 14 04:48:37 UTC 2008

Sorry for top posting, but I'm really responding just to the subject,
not the body text.

I had a similar problem, display panel did not make all valid
resolutions available, and further, it would not properly update the x
config if I made a coice and saved. Turns out it was due to the nvidia
card on the laptop I was tweaking. Fedora ships with a barely usable
nvidia driver, it somehow conflicts with the display panel. If you go
to nvidia's web site you can download some evil proprietary code that
works, but requires that you use something other than the usual
display panel to do resolution changes. I'd be surprised if Intel
pulled the same trick as nvidia, but it might be worth a look.

For troubleshooting, I would copy the x config file, fiddle around in
the display panel, then compare the new config with old. Modification
date always showed it had been changed, but the actual contents
usually did not change, and if it did change, it often did not
correspond to choices I'd made in the panel. Confusing!

Hope that's a clue.

Dave