Fedora 9 'git' source kernel ??

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 16:55:43 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 12:09 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Just checking that I am doing this correctly.
>
> I want to start exploring the Linux kernel.  (I realize when the time
> comes I should ask any in depth questions elsewhere -- but for now I am
> just looking for start help.)  I have 'git' installed.  I am ready to
> download the Fedora 9 source.  Members of my local LUG have advised me
> that I should be sure to download the 'git' kernel.  They mostly use
> Debian.
>
> I don't see anything in the source repo that might equal a 'git' Kernel
> -- just the regular ordinary source rpm; kernel-2.6.25-14.fc9.src.rpm
>
> Should I download that or is there somewhere else an animal called or
> set up as a 'git' kernel??

Bill, 'git' is a version-control system used in the kernel development
process (and other places), so the "git kernel" means some version of
the kernel source as released by kernel.org, i.e. Linus and friends.

OTOH the Fedora kernel is a git kernel (usually a minor version or two
behind) plus Fedora patches. You can use yum to install it for your
reading pleasure without having to understand anything about git.

Cheers

poc