Fedora 9 'git' source kernel ??

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Mon Jul 14 17:43:14 UTC 2008

William Case wrote:
> Just checking that I am doing this correctly.
>
> I want to start exploring the Linux kernel.  (I realize when the
> time comes I should ask any in depth questions elsewhere -- but for
> now I am just looking for start help.)  I have 'git' installed.  I
> am ready to download the Fedora 9 source.  Members of my local LUG
> have advised me that I should be sure to download the 'git' kernel.
> They mostly use Debian.
>
> I don't see anything in the source repo that might equal a 'git'
> Kernel -- just the regular ordinary source rpm;
> kernel-2.6.25-14.fc9.src.rpm
>
> Should I download that or is there somewhere else an animal called
> or set up as a 'git' kernel??

If you want to explore the kernel tree that makes up the kernel you
are running in Fedora, you probably want to follow the steps at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel

On the other hand, if you want to study the vanilla kernel sources and
be able to read the logs of changes made, then cloning the kernel's
git repository would be better.  You can clone Linus' tree via:

git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git

(Either of these methods take up several hundred megabytes.)

Don't look for me in daylight where robots all assemble.  You'll find
me in my dark world, in my smoke-filled temple.