F9: Compiled and created rt2870sta.ko, but where to install?

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Tue Jul 15 00:13:56 UTC 2008

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 17:39 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
> > As a side note, I wonder why this module is not included in the
> > F8/9 repository since it is freely available?  I am assuming this
> > is license-free?
>
> Two points:
>
> 1) Every package in the standard Fedora repos is licensed. If you mean
> the module comes with a free software license and thus could potentially
> be part of Fedora then of course that's something else, but it's not
> what you said.
>
> 2) When you say it's "freely available" do you mean you just downloaded
> it from the manufacturer's site *without* having to click on a license
> agreement? It would be helpful if you gave the URL you got it from. One
> of the keys to getting useful answers is to provide enough information
> in the question.

I obtained the rt2870 software from:
http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html
and the specific file I downloaded was: RT2870USB(RT2870/RT2870)
<http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/drivers/2008_0528_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1.3.0.0.tar.bz2>

 From what I can tell, it is an Open-Source Organization and I
did not see any licensing in regards to the code i.e. I do not
think I recall having to click on any license agreements.

Anyway, does anyone have any helpful links that might help
me in properly installing and setting up the Wireless software?

Thanks!
Dan