Gnus can't open attachment

Nifty Cluster Mitch niftyfedora at niftyegg.com
Tue Jul 15 02:51:28 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 10:33:54AM +0100, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> Sender: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com

>     Bjoern> Interesting, for me it doesn't work consistently.  But
>     Bjoern> until Fredora8 (don't remember the Emacs version of this
>     Bjoern> Fedora release) it worked always.
>
>     Bjoern> Since when did you have this problem?
>
> Sorry, but I don't remember when it started. However I'm running
> Fedora 7 on the machine concerned.

Check your mime hooks and see if the bindings are still
valid.    A pdf can be viewed with multiple tools as well
so the default mime bindings in newer FC may find a dangling link
or nothing at all.

For pdf files you may need acroread from the Adobe if your
old . files and mime hooks expect it there.

I had to fix my .mailcap file recently so my mail reader
could display html mail safe and sane.....

Then there is a risk of xemacs .vs. emacs differences.

If it is not obvious use a big hammer, fire up emacs with strace.

	strace -f -F -o /tmp/mytracelog gnus

quickly try looking at one mail file and one attachment.
Look for all the file operations including the stat() calls
for files not found on your system.

Three possible viewers are: document viewer, acroread from adobe, and ghostview.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Looking for a place to hang my hat :-(