modprobe & blacklist

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 06:05:01 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 5:32 AM, john f jarvis <johnfjarvis at knology.net> wrote:
> To use gpsbabel with my Garmin Venture Hc gps receiver I must
> first remove the FC9 builtin garmin_gps usb module.
> As su this works: /sbin/rmmod garmin_gps
>
> My question: How can I use the blacklist feature of modprobe
> to do this automatically? Adding the line: blacklist garmin_gps
> to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and/or modprobe.conf.dist
> doesn't work.
>        Thanks, John Jarvis
>
> --

Hi John Jarvis!

I would look carefully at the output of lsmod before and after the use
of rmmod.  Likey there is another "companion" module you need to
blacklist to make this work.  To make one of my wireless modems work
for example I neede to blacklist oronco and oronco_cs to get the job
done.

Good Hunting!

Tod