Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

DJ Delorie dj at delorie.com
Tue Jul 15 17:45:28 UTC 2008

> You're absolutely correct that some don't get credited by GNU+Linux,
> but how is that a logical reason to credit the smaller contributor
> Linux and not the larger contributor GNU?

I didn't say the larger contributors shouldn't get credited.  I object
to the FSF asking for credit *only for them*.  Asking for Linux
distros to be called GNU/Linux makes it sound like the FSF created
Linux, Firefox, Apache, Perl, Gnome, OO, and all those other big parts
of common distros.  *That* I object to.

If the FSF wants to create their own distro that consists primarily of
the Linux kernel and the GNU software, they may call it GNU/Linux (or
anything else they choose ;).  Asking for anything else to be called
GNU/Linux is pure hubris.