Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Tue Jul 15 23:23:00 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Gordon Messmer wrote:
>
>> Stallman's concern is for our Freedom to use the computers that we
>> purchase for our own ends and needs, rather than as dictated to us
>> by someone else.  Linus has repeatedly shown that he doesn't care
>> about that Freedom, and RMS would be a fool to step aside and let
>> Linus act as a steward for it.
>
> If you think Linux, or Linus, is unethical why do you run Linux? Or
> even GNU/Linux? There are lots of other OS's.

Mostly because Linus isn't capable of screwing up the Freedom that's
guarded by the GPL.

That said, the problem with Linus isn't usually his antipathy for
Freedom, just his apathy.  He'd make an awful steward for Free Software,
even if he's capable enough as a lead for the Linux kernel.

Just because I don't think he's fit for one specific job, don't infer
that I think he's unfit for every job.