RhythmBox wants text/html decoder plugin ??

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Wed Jul 16 15:26:47 UTC 2008

Hi Tim and Tim and Others;

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 22:53 -0700, Timothy Selivanow wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 01:08 -0400, William Case wrote:
> > Hi Tim;
> >

> > What is really annoying is that I had both working for a week.  Then,
> > today after some upgrades (I am not sure there is a connection) I went
> > to use Rhythmbox and I started getting text/html decoder plugin
> > warning.
>
> Bill,
>
> I can successfully play the audio stream you are wanting by using
> http://www.cbc.ca/livemedia/cbcr1-ottawa.asx as the URL instead of the
> one you listed above.  I did it by looking at the source of the webpage
> (to my knowledge, rhythmbox has never been able to parse and extract a
> stream from HTML...how would it know what stream if there were more than
> one?) and creating a new "Internet Radio Station".  Also, since it is a
> windows media stream, you'll need gstreamer-plugins-bad and/or
> gstreamer-plugins-ugly (I'm not sure which one specifically, I always
> install both).  I assume you know how/where to get that...

I have the good, bad and ugly installed (with dependencies)-- still no
go.  Tried http://www.cbc.ca/livemedia/cbcr1-ottawa.asx -- no go.

I am now getting the warning "requires plugin: Windows Media Audio 8
decoder".

What is really frustrating is when I originally opened Rhythmbox there
were a list of FM stations available -- including the CBC.  Therefore,
somehow, the CBC FM stations are playable on Linux and through Rhythmbox
without additional downloads.  I have been listening to CBC1 and CBC2
for over a week.

I deleted the entire original play list by mistake and am unable to
retrieve it.  I just wanted the CBC from that list anyways.

I got NPR working by being directed to the shoutcast-playlist.pls site.
I futzed about and got it working (not sure EXACTLY what I did) in
Rhythmbox.

The Listen using the NPR Media Player (requires Adobe Flash) link works,
opening a special window in FireFox but won't play now in Rhythmbox.  I
can re-futz if I know I have something like the CBC working.

Why everything should suddenly quit is beyond me!

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3