Acknowledge consent before login

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jul 17 03:57:23 UTC 2008

Tim:
>> Personally, I don't see that clicking on an additional "yes" button
>> makes any difference.  I'll click on it and lie, anyway.  Or not abuse
>> the system, anyway.

g:
> not for sure, but he may be talking about a military base use.
>
> not a good place to lie about such things.

I'm inclined to make a pithy comment about the military and truth, but I
don't think I'll bother.  ;-)

Going back to what I said earlier, though.  There's little difference
between "by logging on you consent to..." and an extra "by clicking on
'yes' you consent to..." (after you've already logged on, or before you
do so).  Either the user is going to obey or abuse, they're informed of
their obligations either way, clicking on one more thing isn't going to
force them to do what they should.

I can't help but wonder if Fedora would be appropriate for military use,
though.  I doubt it'd have enough checks made on the code being used for
it to be cleared.  Whether that be for security, or simply for
reliability.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.9-76.fc9.i686