SATA hotswap / hotplug

Seann Clark nombrandue at tsukinokage.net
Thu Jul 17 15:47:00 UTC 2008

Christopher Mocock wrote:
> Todd Denniston wrote:
>> lsi does not show up on http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html so
>> you have to figure out what driver supports the card and ask about
>> that driver.
>
> It's the megaraid_sas driver but it's not shown on the linux-ata.org
> site, so that doesn't bode too well!
>
>>> 3Ware 9550SX,
>> http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#tware
>> apparently you need to ask at the driver maker's site if they support
>> it.
>
> Aha, I shall do so.
Just as a quick heads up, with the 3ware cards, you have to have JBOD
support on, and a hotswap compliant enclosure for this. If you are using
any type of RAID (I use RAID 5 on the three I have) it shows as one,
maybe two drives (sda/b) in Linux though I have between 4-12 drives in
the system. I have hot swapped failed drives before, but if you are
using a JBOD setup, I am not sure how that works as seen from Linux,
though the card handles all of that internally. The biggest thing to
watch for in the logs with 3ware is are kernel logs and 3dm2 logs for
the card if you have the support software up.

>> according to the 'Driver / feature matrix'
>> http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#matrix
>>
>> driver=sata_mv
>> feature=Device Hotplug
>> feature state=no
>
> Well spotted, I saw this bit of the same page...
>
> http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#marvell
>
> ... and it says:
>
> Driver name: sata_mv

> control including hotplug.
>
> So I'm a little bit puzzled. Unless it means hotplugging the card
> itself?!?
>
> Anyway, thanks for the pointers.

Regards,
Seann