Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Jul 17 16:14:13 UTC 2008

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
[snip]
>> wasn't BSD UNIX for big iron around before FSF got it's start?
>> Didn't BSD have a fairly complete system *before*
>> GNU tools started being widespread?
>
> Yup.  But IIRC back then BSD was still largely encumbered by AT&T UNIX
> code.  Otherwise GNU might have never been started as such: BSD could
> have been the Free operating system of choice.

Technically BSD was built at the University of California, Berkeley from
UNIX System 7 source from Bell Labs (then part of AT&T).  Since they
made changes and such, the Regents of University of California held
copyright over what was then called "Berkeley Standard Distribution" or
BSD.  Note that anyone using BSD could NOT call their OS "Unix" as they
did NOT have permission from AT&T.  This is what gave rise to SunOS,
Solaris, Ultrix, Irix, AIX, and damned near every other thing that
sounded vaguely like Unix and had an "x" in it.  They're all BSD
derivatives and carried a license from the Regents.

One of my favorite quotes: "There are two things to come out of
Berkeley: BSD and LSD.  We don't think this is a coincidence."
(From "The Unix Haters Handbook")

[snip]
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-   You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.    -