Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Thu Jul 17 16:37:09 UTC 2008

John Burton wrote:
> Okay, here are a couple of questions I haven't seen answered. There are
> several "license" schemes put forth for Open Source software. GPL and
> BSD are two that come to mind immediately. The purpose of "open source"
> is to counter the traditional closed source model of software.

I forgot to point out that Free Software is most definitely the
traditional development method.  When GNU was started, it was in
response to a change from the traditional method to a black-box
distribution method for software.

Our entire history of science and engineering is Open.  Understanding
the way things work has been the hallmark of our development as a
society.  Don't forget that.