fglrx, FC8 and BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 11s

Julius Smith jos at ccrma.stanford.edu
Thu Jul 17 21:23:54 UTC 2008

I just got a Radeon 4850 graphics card for my F8 system, and I ran
into this infinite-boot-loop problem.
(I'm running kernel 2.6.25.10-47.fc8.)

Oddly, I can work around the problem by booting first in single-user
mode, then exiting to run-level 5.
It also worked when I first installed the proprietary ATI driver
(version 8.501, downloaded just yesterday) by logging out (and not
rebooting).

Attempts to build for specific distributions (I tried Fedora/F9,
Fedora/F8, Fedora/FC6) all failed with the following message:

  error: %changelog entries must start with *

Julius