Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Jul 17 22:06:32 UTC 2008

Antonio Olivares wrote:
> [...]

They've never given up and the vast majority of their arguments are
specious at best.  Several judges have already determined that SCO's
previous claims had no merit and the latest seem to simply be rehashes
of things they've claimed in the past.  In some ways it's rather
pathetic.  A company that can no longer compete effectively falls down
the pit of filing bogus suits in the hope that someone will give them
money to just "shut up and go away."

Note that the first SCO offering was called "Xenix" (not even they could
use "Unix" as they didn't have a license from Bell Labs...that ought to
tell you something).  A large part of Xenix was written by Locus
Computing in Santa Monica, CA.  Locus was also responsible for a huge
part of IBM's AIX operating system (again, no "Unix" because no source
license from Bell Labs and IBM could sure-as-hell afford one).

> I have read somewhere(don't recall where) that many of the software that was written for BSD/SunOS made its way into linux since the previous were for pay.  That is where Linux came in, then the big companies started selling it and now is getting bigger everyday, unfortunately there are many who do not like it like Microsoft, Apple, SCO, etc.
>
> Despite the arguments into calling it GNU/Linux or simply Linux, it has its place for many of us users who are very happy to run it.

I think the consensus is that Linux is the kernel and Gnu makes up most
of the rest of the OS.  Gnu can use Hurd as its kernel as well, but it's
nowhere nearly as common as a Linux kernel.  I've seen Gnu run on a Mach
kernel as well.

As long as the kernel offers entry points and return values conforming
to the POSIX standard, I think Gnu will work with it.  I could be wrong
as I've not dug really deeply into the guts of Gnu.  I'm getting too old
to do that!  :-)
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-  Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a  -
-                              rigged demo.                          -