Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Jul 18 01:34:30 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:

> This doesn't make much sense until the completion of the standalone BSD
> that I thought happened a lot later.  Originally you had to have an AT&T
> license to run the BSD additions. And at these prices it's pretty easy
> to see why everyone was running Windows a few years later - I still
> blame AT&T for that.

Actually, Unix edition 5 was free from Bell Labs, at least to universities.
There was even a microUnix which was supposed to run
on what were then called micro-computers.
But I never heard of anyone actually getting it (microUnix) to run.

I recall getting Unix edition 5 on a tape from Bell labs,
with a note attached that the tape was not guaranteed to contain anything.

But I didn't think AT&T were allowed to charge anyone for Unix.
I thought there was a legal agreement that AT&T must not sell software,
and IBM must not enter telecommunications.