Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Fri Jul 18 14:59:22 UTC 2008

On Jul 18, 2008, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> I look at at this way: a unix-like operating system is the part that
> makes everything look like a file and applications that are portable
> across them only need an API of creat(), open(), read(), write(), and
> ioctl()

API = UNIX-like C library?  On GNU+Linux, GNU libc, right?  Linux per
se offers no such APIs.

>> Nothing like "many small programs, each doing a single simple task
>> very well, that can be combined through pipes and a powerful shell
>> programming language" would be part of the UNIX philosophy, because,
>> well, these small programs wouldn't be part of UNIX per this narrow
>> definition.

> That's a good idea under any OS, not particularly unique to unix.

Heh.  Discarding part of a statement to make it fit others isn't very
nice :-)  Good ideas are present in any OS, so... whatever conclusion
you might want to get to :-)

> The c library isn't unique to unix by design.

I don't understand what you're trying to communicate here, there are
several different possible interpretations.  Please expand or use
different words?