How is one supposed to use the KDE4 desktop ?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 19 16:40:25 UTC 2008

On Saturday 19 July 2008 13:58:26 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> OK, since I'm interested in the strange icon shown by Kmix in the panel,
> I did a search:
>
> # locate .desktop|grep -i kmix
> /usr/share/applications/kde4/kmix.desktop
> /usr/share/autostart/kmix_autostart.desktop
> /usr/share/autostart/restore_kmix_volumes.desktop
> /usr/share/kde4/services/kmixctrl_restore.desktop
>
> and then looked for icon references:
>
> # grep -i icon /usr/share/applications/kde4/kmix.desktop
> /usr/share/autostart/kmix_autostart.desktop
> /usr/share/autostart/restore_kmix_volumes.desktop
> /usr/share/kde4/services/kmixctrl_restore.desktop
> /usr/share/applications/kde4/kmix.desktop:Icon=kmix
> /usr/share/autostart/kmix_autostart.desktop:Icon=kmix
>
> Now since the icon being displayed is *not* the Kmix icon (by which I
> mean the one shown in the corner when you open the Kmix Properties
> dialogue), the plot thickens ...

Fascinating.  I've noted before that the icon that appears when you autostart
kmix is not the one that you see in the icon-selector.  That's been so as
long as I can remember.  But I agree, I can't find where it gets that one.

/usr/share/autostart is definitely where it lists those tiny application
icons, but as well as the kmix mystery there is also a space that looks as
though it has something unidentifiable there, and kwallet docks into the same
space.  I tend to think of that group as system icons, as distinct from the
ones that I add, either as widgets or as application launchers.

Anne