that old GNU/Linux argument

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 19 18:28:02 UTC 2008

> > It is GNU/Linux.  Should this be tried with Ubuntu,
> Suse, Gentoo, ..., etc?
>
> Let's see:
>
> rpm -qf `which uname`
> coreutils-6.10-27.fc9.x86_64
>
> and of course rpmq -i coreutils:
> > Name        : coreutils
> Relocations: (not relocatable)
> > Version     : 6.10
> Vendor: Fedora Project
> > Release     : 27.fc9                        Build
> Date: Fri 04 Jul 2008 12:37:00 PM EDT
> > Install Date: Wed 09 Jul 2008 02:15:25 PM EDT
> Build Host: x86-5
> > Group       : System Environment/Base       Source
> RPM: coreutils-6.10-27.fc9.src.rpm
> > Size        : 11290040
> License: GPLv3+
> > Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Tue 08 Jul 2008 11:23:50 AM
> EDT, Key ID b44269d04f2a6fd2
> > Packager    : Fedora Project
> > URL         : http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/
> > Summary     : The GNU core utilities: a set of tools
> commonly used in shell scripts
> > Description :
> > These are the GNU core utilities.  This package is the
> combination of
> > the old GNU fileutils, sh-utils, and textutils
> packages.
>
> So, you want to use a GNU utility to "prove" that
> the OS is GNU/Linux?
> Sounds rather like GNU made an assertion and is using that
> assertion as
> a proof.
No, I do not want to prove it, I just tried it on slax to show if the results were the same.  I know it does not prove anything :( only that GNU wrote that part and we would not expect anything else.

> BTW, I wouldn't have expected a package of GNU
> utilities to say anything
> else.
>
> --

Very true!  :)

part of man uname from slax follows

COPYRIGHT
       Copyright <A9> 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
       This is free software.  You may redistribute copies  of  it  under  the
       terms       of       the      GNU      General      Public      License
       <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.  There is NO WARRANTY,  to  the
       extent permitted by law.

SEE ALSO
       uname(2)

       The full documentation for uname is maintained as a Texinfo manual.  If
       the info and uname programs are properly installed at  your  site,  the
       command

              info uname

       should give you access to the complete manual.

GNU coreutils 6.9                  June 2007                          UNAME(1)

Regards,

Antonio