Fedora 9 and VMWare Server

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sun Jul 20 02:39:47 UTC 2008

Michael Eager wrote:
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

>>> Noting that I've not worked, yet, with VMWare, at all, I still think the
>>> question needs to be asked:
>>>
>>> Did you start the VMWare server processes?
>>
>> An easier question (based on how VMWare is packaged) is did you run
>> the vmware-config.pl script that comes with the RPM?  It will shutdown
>> any running services, and compile the necessary kernel modules for
>> your running kernel (if you haven't made them already, and, no, just
>> installing the RPM does not do this), and then start them up again.
>
> Thanks, all.
>
> I had run the vmware-config program and started the server, but
> I decided to try restarting the server.  It complained that I needed
> to run vmware-config again, so I did.  It built all modules without
> error and started all of the VMware services.
>
> One thing which looks odd is that when the vmware-config script
> starts VMware Services, that the line "VMware Virtual Infrastructure
> Web Access" doesn't have either [OK] or [FAILED] after it.
>
>> After that (if it was successful), you should be able to connect to
>> the server.
>
> No such luck.  Starting the browser and pointing to localhost:
> gives me a VI Web Access dialog (as before), but entering in
> the admin user/password results in a complaint that the server
> is not responding, and suggests that I check that the server is
> running and accepting connections.
>
> The following processes are running:
>   vmnet-bridge
>   vmware-authdlau
>   vmware-watchdog
>   vmware-hostd

I don't see vmware-server in the above list.
This is what got built and started on my machine:

> Starting VMware services:
>    Virtual machine monitor                                 [  OK  ]
>    Virtual ethernet                                        [  OK  ]
>    Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0                       [  OK  ]
>    Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet1 (background)        [  OK  ]
>    Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet2                       [  OK  ]
>    Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet8 (background)        [  OK  ]
>    NAT service on /dev/vmnet8                              [  OK  ]
>    Starting VMware virtual machines...                     [  OK  ]

How does this compare with your build?

> If I go to https://localhost:902, I get the following line:
>   220 Vmware Authentication Daemon Version 1.10; SSL Required,
>   ServerDaemonProtocol:SOAP, MKSDisplayProtocol:VNC , VMXARGS supported

Same as me, but it runs on a different port number on my machine.   YMMV

> I'll try following Chris' pointer to HowToForge, but if any
> of this looks hinky, please let me know.

Not sure.  Have you looked closely at the results of your config run?
Were there *any* errors at all?  Warnings?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net