Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Sun Jul 20 07:30:12 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:

> The statement is not wrong - the reason a few that are listed as
> compatible is that the permit themselves to be replaced by the GPL.

You can not legally replace the copyright on a work that was created by
someone else, unless the license of that work specifically allows you to
do so.  I believe that there is at least one such license listed, but in
general, you are incorrect.

This was at the heart of a problem in the Linux kernel, where a driver
taken from OpenBSD had its copyright notice mistakenly removed:
http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20070829001634

The entire conversation may prove educational.  I think that someone
from the FSF wrote an article about mixing licensed works after the
atheros driver mistake to clarify the legalities for non-lawyers.

> When
> combined in a work with GPL components any other attributes of the
> original licenses no longer apply.

As above, incorrect.