Semi-)T: how do printer drivers get into distros?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 20 09:17:30 UTC 2008

The reason I ask is that, about 18 months ago, I discovered that Brother's
website provided linux drivers for many models, including the mfp that I
wanted to install.  Yesterday I had reason to go back to that site, and
noticed that before every download you are required to accept the gpl and
source code is available in a separate download.  In view of that I would
have thought that getting them into distros would be good.  So, what is
needed for them to be included?

We complain enough about hardware vendors, so we really need to encourage
those that try

Anne