I need help with Fedora

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 20 20:06:22 UTC 2008

On Sunday 20 July 2008 20:55:49 aakash sharma wrote:
> My system's configuration is
>
> Pentium 4 2.4GHz
> 256MB RAM
> 160GB HDD
>
> I know it's quite old but I wanna stick with it now
>
> I want to install fedora with Win xp.
>
> I already have xp installed on my system.
>
> I tried to install fedora 9 but it just crashed.
>
> All my data got corrupted as i had made another primary partition for
> fedora and set that active by Partition Magic.
>
> I think fedora 8 will work better on my system so I am downloading it now.
>
> *I need ur help regarding what kind of HDD partitioning I should use,
>
> and more importantly what scheme should I choose while installing FEDORA.*

Aakash , the first bit of advice would be to get more RAM.  You can install
Fedora onto much older hardware than yours, but 256 MB RAM is just not
enough.

As for partitioning, I can't remember the exact names, but when you get to the
partitioning part of the install there is a button for Custom or Expert
(can't remember which).  Choose that.  Leave the Windows partition(s) alone,
but remove any other partitions set up with Partition Magic.  Let the install
create a 12GB partition for the system, (/). a 512MB swap partition, and the
rest for /home.

Anne