Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 20:57:54 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>>> You seem to not understand the difference between freedom and power,
>>> and insist in demanding power when what you deserve and have is
>>> freedom.
>>
>> No, I understand that restrictions are not freedom.
>>
> Maybe that is because you are looking at it as a developer, and not as
> an end user. It is the freedom of the end users that is being preserved.

No, that is exactly backwards.  Since the GPL only prohibits
redistribution, a developer is perfectly free to combine components as
he wants for his own use.  Or companies that can afford it can hire a
developer to do this in custom code that is not redistributed.  It's the
end users that aren't developers and can only afford things distributed
at mass market prices that lose any chance of benefits.  They just never
even see it.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com