I need help with Fedora

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Jul 20 20:58:08 UTC 2008

aakash sharma wrote:
> My system's configuration is
>
> Pentium 4 2.4GHz
> 256MB RAM
> 160GB HDD
>
> I know it's quite old but I wanna stick with it now
>
> I want to install fedora with Win xp.
>
> I already have xp installed on my system.
>
> I tried to install fedora 9 but it just crashed.
>
> All my data got corrupted as i had made another primary partition for
> fedora and set that active by Partition Magic.
>
> I think fedora 8 will work better on my system so I am downloading it now.
>
> *I need ur help regarding what kind of HDD partitioning I should use,
>
> and more importantly what scheme should I choose while installing FEDORA.*
>

> Thanks in Advance
>
> Aakash Sharma

The processor is more then fast enough, but you should have more RAM
if you want to run the Gnome or KDE desktop. I have run Fedora 8 on
a P4, 1.5GHz system with 512MB of RAM.

For partitioning, I would create a small /boot partition (128MB),
and then create one partition for /. I would normally recommend a
separate /home partition, but with 160GB shared with XP, sizing
becomes too much of a juggling act for an inexperienced user. I
would also create at least a 512MB, and probably a 1GB swap
partition. But performance will suffer.

Another way to do it is to shrink the XP partition to the size you
want it, and let the installer handle partitioning the rest for you.

You may also want to consider installing a distribution designed for
a system with lower resources. Something like Dam Small Linux.

Mikkel