What is the point of the NM keyring?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Jul 20 23:51:59 UTC 2008

David Boles wrote:

>> But what is the point of having large numbers of passwords,
>> if one password will open all the locks?
>
> Gee Timothy. Do you lock all of the doors on your house with the same key?
> And your auto? How about the office door(s)? All with the same key?

But that is exactly my point.
One key - the KDE wallet key - _will_ open all the locks on my computer.

Mikkel has suggested one advantage, if I am using several systems.
But as it happens, I am not - all the passwords at issue
are on one computer.

> You 'lock' everything with the same key and then the key is stolen and/or
> cracked. Does that mean that you are really, really open then?  ;-)

Again, that is exactly _my_ point.
If someone does get my KDE wallet key then they can open every lock
on my computer, as far as I can see.