that old GNU/Linux argument

Björn Persson listor3.rombobeorn at tdcpost.se
Mon Jul 21 02:47:46 UTC 2008

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> Having said that, my *usage* of the term "Linux" encompasses any
> accumulation of software that has a useful purpose and is constructed
> around a Linux kernel. This includes GNU+Linux, X+Linux,
> Fedora/Debian/Ubuntu/Slackware/etc. and the system that runs my wife's
> RAZR-2 cellphone.

OK, that's a fairly clear explanation. Apparently you're in the "everything
and the kitchen sink" camp too.

>         'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful
>         tone,' it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor
>         less.'

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. When combined with the assumption that
everyone else automatically knows what Humpty Dumpty wants the words to mean
it ensures endless misunderstandings.

Björn Persson