32 bit Java app on 64 bit Linux

Steve Dowe steve at onecool.com
Mon Jul 21 14:05:59 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to run Zend Studio (32 bit) on fedora 9 x84_64, but am coming
across a problem with network access.  Specifically, when Zend starts up
it can perform an update check, but this fails almost immediately with a
useless message ("the server could not be contacted").

I suspect that I need a 64-32 bit compatibility library to enable
network access.  Interestingly (annoyingly), a similar issue occurs when
replacing the 64 bit version of firefox with the 32 bit version.  So I
think this is less of a Java issue...

Could anybody point me in the right direction please?

Thanks,
Steve