Fedora 9 and VMWare Server

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Mon Jul 21 14:11:47 UTC 2008

On Mon July 21 2008, Alex Katebi wrote:
> What advantage are you gaining by doing things that way? My vm's run just
> fine the way I'm doing it now - what improvement should I expect by
> learning the method you suggest?
>

> I thought that you were encountering errors by running the vmware tools
> alone. I was trying to help you to install vmware tools without errors.

no, I am seeking information - you made some rather cryptic statements and I
was trying to learn something - I'm afraid I'm still not understanding you - I
am not the original poster, and I'm having no problems running vmware-server
on top of Fedora 9, which is what I believe the original poster was asking
about

*to be clear, I'm running vmware-server, the latest version, installed from
the rpm on the vmware site, on my F9 box
*after running the new version as an update to my working vmware installation
yesterday, I then ran the any-any 117 patch, which built a new module for my
vmware version and running kernel
*I then started up a WinXP vm and it produced a message telling me my vmware
tools were out of date
*I then installed the vmware tools without incident, and my WinXP vm is now
running perfectly on top of Fedora9

I still don't understand exactly what it is you're doing. For example, you
stated: "Before booting your guest Fedora make sure that your vmware cd drive
is not pointing to an iso image. After booting install the vmeare tools as you
said. Then untar & unzip the vmeare tools."

First, I'm not booting a guest Fedora - I'm running mostly Windows VM's on top
of Fedora 9. Secondly, after installing vmware tools as I've said, my virtual
machine runs perfectly; but, you then state that I should untar & unzip the
vmware tools! OK - let's assume that's a typo, and you meant to say, I should
untar & unzip the open-vm-tools...If that is correct, what exactly shall I
gain from all this?
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA