that old GNU/Linux argument

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Mon Jul 21 19:03:32 UTC 2008

On Jul 21, 2008, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

> I've never, ever, misunderstood someone because they use the term "Linux".

So, if someone said "I'm a Linux developer", you'd immediately know
that the person:

a) wrote some code present in linux-2.6.26.tar.bz2

b) wrote some code for your favorite application

c) maintains a package in your favorite distro

d) helps translate your favorite desktop mgmt system

e) writes scripts in your favorite scripting language

f) two or more of the above

FTR, I do realize that some of the ambiguities above stem from
often-inflated meanings for "developer", but even if you disregard
this detail you'll still realize there's a communication failure
because of the often-inflated meaning for "Linux".