that old GNU/Linux argument

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 22:36:11 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 20:53 +0200, Björn Persson wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > Truth be told, normally I'm on the other side of this kind of argument.
> > I prefer exactness wherever possible. I've simply learned to save my
> > energies for things that matter, and that I might eventually change.
>
> So, since you are in fact investing your energy in this argument, I must
> conclude that you think it's important to make the FSF stop requesting that
> people say "GNU/Linux", and that you think they may eventually give up.

I have no way to "make" the FSF do anything. I'm just don't think this
effort is going to get anywhere. In fact the more they request this
terminological change, the more people seem determined to resist it.
Many people resent being told they're unethical or unprincipled. Who
knew?

> I think you may have underestimated their determination.

Oh, I don't think so.

poc