F9 - cups - windows shared printer

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Jul 22 04:12:57 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 18:07 +0000, g wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> <snip>
> > AuthInfoRequired negotiate
> >
> > got into /etc/cups/printers.conf in the printer definition and removing
> > the line completely solved it.
> >
> > I have no idea how it got there
>
> because you use a computer and it forgot "1st law"?
>
> interesting anyway.
>
> do printers set up with this install. i use it just for internet.  will
> check files under other installs. will be interesting to see what they
> have.
>
> glad you got it working.
----
sometimes, I haven't a clue to references that you make - i.e. - 1st
law?

I routinely set up cups to offer print queues for users whether Linux
(automatic discovery, automatic setup), Macintosh (via cups or via
netatalk) and Windows (via Samba, providing APW) and cups has been a
remarkable print server/service with very few problems.

Obviously I try to stay away from editing the cups config files by hand
because they tend to get trampled on by cups configuration tools
(http://localhost:631) or via system-config-printer (which finally seems
to live in peace alongside cups configuration tools).

Something, somewhere, somehow entered that line in the printers.conf
file (AuthInfoRequired negotiate) as I am quite certain that I didn't
put it in there - not even from an errant selection in one of the above
mentioned configuration tools.

Anyway, c'est la vie - that's what I get for not raking through the
config files with emacs and relying upon the gui tools

Craig