AMD64 and Scanners

Oliver Sampson olsam at quickaudio.com
Tue Jul 22 12:34:04 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 18:34 +0000, g wrote:
> Oliver Sampson wrote:
> <snip>
> > of?
>
> possible in '/dev'.
>
> also, have you made yourself a member of scanner groups?

No.

> i had to do this to get a scanner to work.

Interesting. On my i386 system, I installed the drivers and it worked
like a charm. Now on my AMD64 system, with the same drivers (there is no
64 bit version) and the same scanner, I get nada.

> also, is scanner working thru sane, xsane, or gimp?

No, no, and no. And not with the Avasys iscan either.

> i had problems with optic pro under xsane, but it worked perfect with
> gimp
>
> in a google linux search, *"avasys" AND "v10"*,  this showed up
> among 14 total hits,
>
> http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/bbs_scan.html
>
> and lead to,
>
> http://www.avasys.jp/cgi-bin/lx/bbs/en/scanner-bbs/hyperbbs.cgi?mode=view;Code=270
>
> which was;

Wow. And I thought I had googled that pretty extensively. Thanks!

> Hi, I got iscan working on AM64 platform. Did this by removing the sane
> backend for x86-64 and installing the 32 bit sane backend then
> installing the iscan and plugin RPMs.
> iscan functions but the scanner is not recognised as such by sane,
> "scanimage -L" shows no scanners. So other apps that use the sane
> framework can't use the scanner although iscan is a plugin for GIMP.
> So, something working but it would be nice to have proper x86_64 support.
>
> also, have a look at,
>
> http://forum.soft32.com/linux/Opinion-Epson-V10-scanner-ftopict440228.html#
>
> anyway, i need to go offline again, this is google link i always use as
> it is for 'advanced search'.
>
> http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en
>
> note above what i used for search line. should not take you long to wade
> thru 14 hits.

I hadn't actually googled on the v10, but on AMD64 support.

Thanks!

--
Oliver Sampson               Support Indie Music!
olsam at quickaudio.com         http://www.cdbaby.com/group/MrSampson