that old GNU/Linux argument

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 13:26:06 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 2:21 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 03:02 -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> So, anyone who insists in naming Linux all of the GNU operating system
>> used with the kernel Linux is contradicting the primary developer of
>> GNU and the primary developer of Linus.
>
> And going along with how various distributions describe themselves.

This made me curious how various distributions do describe themselves
so I poked the websites of the top 8 listed on Distrowatch checking
just the front page and the about link if there was such. Here is what
I found::

1. Ubuntu - "Linux-based operating system"
2. openSUSE -  "Linux distribution"
3. Fedora - "Linux-based operating system"
4. Mint - "GNU/Linux desktop distribution"
5. PCLinuxOS - "Linux-based operating system"
6. Mandriva - "Linux operating system"
7. Debian - "GNU/Linux"
8. Dreamlinux - "modular GNU/Linux system"

I tried to spot a reference to how each distribution described the
operating system directly where possible - otherwise I went with the
description of the distribution as a whole.

The distributions seem at least as divided as the people discussing this here.

John