that old GNU/Linux argument

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 17:12:56 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Antonio Olivares
<olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> 1. Ubuntu - "Linux-based operating system"
>> 2. openSUSE -  "Linux distribution"
>> 3. Fedora - "Linux-based operating system"
>> 4. Mint - "GNU/Linux desktop distribution"
>> 5. PCLinuxOS - "Linux-based operating system"
>> 6. Mandriva - "Linux operating system"
>> 7. Debian - "GNU/Linux"
>> 8. Dreamlinux - "modular GNU/Linux system"
>>
>> I tried to spot a reference to how each distribution
>> described the
>> operating system directly where possible - otherwise I went
>> with the
>> description of the distribution as a whole.
>>
>> The distributions seem at least as divided as the people
>> discussing this here.
>>
>> John
>>
>> --
>
> Taking this subset of Distributions, 3 out of 8
> 3/8 or 0.375 , 37.5% use GNU/Linux the rest call it Linux
> 62.5%, 5/8, 0.625 say it is plainly Linux.

One could also observe that only 1 of the 8 directly calls the
operating system Linux (although I suspect openSUSE would as well even
though I didn't see it). Three of the five you group together refer to
it as a "Linux-based operating system" which is I think meaningfully
different than "plainly" Linux.

> Going back to Distrowatch, taking all the Distros listed, the active one, the nonactive ones, and the ones that one to come in, make the same experiment, it would be amazing to find out (maye be the top 100%) how many name their distros GNU/Linux.

This would be interesting but I'm not going to volunteer to do it. :)

> Only there has to be several catches here,
> The distros that are based on Debian will be GNU/Linux despite another name, why because Debian uses it.

Ubuntu is a counterexample that jumps out on this point.

John