Periodic Fedora 9 system hangs with jumpy mouse

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 19:22:35 UTC 2008

An update on this problem:

First, I'm up to date on the latest kernel and X window
packages.  Again, I'm using the standard Fedora Radeon
driver with all the default options.  I'm also using the standard
Gnome interface.

Here's the strange thing I'm seeing.  I don't know if this
is just coincidence or not, but it is what I've experienced.

If I boot the machine all the way to run level 5, then either
X will experience the "hanging jumpy mouse" issue fairly
quickly after use (usually when scrolling); or the X server
doesn't even start correctly (I just get garbage pixels on the
screen and the machine hangs).  This later "garbage pixel"
outcome only started occurring after the last kernel/X11 updates.

However if I boot to run level 3 and then type "startx" at
a console; then the session is extremely stable.  In fact I've
never had it hang at all if started via startx despite how
heavily I use it.

The only down side is that for some reason the startx
method does not initialize any customized keyboard key
mappings (such as setting caps-lock to be ctrl).  But if I go
to the System->Preferences->Hardware->Keyboard
properties dialog and close it all is good again.

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me; but perhaps it will
to somebody.
--
Deron Meranda