Newbie: USB Pen Drive on Fedora Core 3

Adalbert Prokop adalbert.prokop at gmx.de
Tue Jul 22 21:20:03 UTC 2008

Bravismore Mumanyi wrote on Tuesday 22 July 2008:

> May any folk out there help me with a guide on how I manually mount USB
> pen drives on Fedora Core 3. I have tried plugging in a pen drive which
> shows an activity light but no icon is automatically displayed. I have
> failed to figure out where it is mounted.

Probably nowhere. ;) FC3 is really old. You had to deal with USB drives
manually - or semi-manually, with help of hotplug.

If you really want to keep FC3 then look for configuration of hotplug. The
internet never forgets anything, I suppose the information about how to
configure it is still available. If I recall it correctly there was a
python script which was called for any USB drive which was plugged it.
Each drive had to be "registered" with it first. Then it would create a
symlink in /dev and alter the fstab to allow unpriviledged users to mount
it.

But if upgrade to something recent (F8 or F9) is an option for you, then
you should do it.

--
Bye,
Adalbert

The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday, but never jam today. --
Lewis Carroll