Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 23 09:09:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 14:54 +0930, Tim wrote:
> Fish in the sea are free.
> Can I make money from them?
> Yes, but you'll need a boat.
> Can I have a boat for free?
>
> The last line can be answered both ways, that's deliberate.  You want
> the fish for free, and a free boat.

Having set the example, and seen others run away with it, it wasn't
quite what I was thinking (even though amusing).

The fish are free, really free.  It's the boat that's iffy...

You can buy a boat, and it's yours to do with as you will.  Of course
you mightn't be able to afford to buy a boat.

Alternatively, you can use someone else's boat, and you'll be driving
around with their sign on the side.  And using their boat subject to
their terms.

Alternatively, you can build your own boat.  Get the bits you need, and
the tools, and the boat's yours.  Building your own tools might be a bit
hard, if you're desperate to not be reliant on someone else, but the
cost of those tools are still going to be cheaper than buying a boat.\.

The grizzles about being hamstrung by GPL conditions don't apply if you
don't use something GPL'ed while building.  You don't *have* to.  It's
your choice to make use of cost-free, but not condition-free, GPL tools.
Use alternatives, if you don't want their conditions.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.10-86.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.