How to deal with SPAM, was STFU

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Wed Jul 23 14:14:29 UTC 2008

Ed Greshko wrote, On 07/22/2008 07:18 PM:
> Antonio Olivares wrote:
>
>> How can I convince these guys from stop sending this,
>> I try to convice them, but I can't.  They do not stop :(
>>
>> The only solution is to delete them everytime.  There are no words
>> these guys understand.
>> /* Letter from someone @ OGAGDAOUDGU   */
>>
>> I NEED YOUR URGENT ASSISTANCE AND UNDERSTANDING IN THIS PROJECT.NOT A
>> SURPRISED MAIL.
>
> There are well defined strategies to deal with spam.  If you really need
> help with it, then ask.  The other types of trash are harder to deal with.

It might be interesting to feed several of those emails into a Bayesian filter
(like either the one with Thunderbird or spamassassin) and see just based on
the Bayesian filter enabled how much of the ham traffic (containing no
discussion of GNU/Linux) over the last month gets eaten too.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to test, and I don't want to risk getting
my fedora-list mail going into the bucket right now.

--
Todd Denniston