KDE settings program from command line

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Wed Jul 23 17:36:18 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 23 July 2008 18:49, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 July 2008 17:16:38 Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Wednesday 23 July 2008, Paul Smith wrote:
> > >Dear All,
> > >
> > >What is the command to run the KDE settings program from the command
> > >line? I am running F9.
> > >
> > >Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > >Paul
> >
> > kcontrol should do it.
>
> No, that is up to F8, and he is running F9.  In KDE4 systemsettings
> replaces kcontrol
>
> Anne

Hi Anne. I think you may find that kcontrol is still available, but not
showing on the menu for KDE4.0. I say this because on my Archlinux install
(KDE 3.5) systemsettings was on the menu, but no kcontrol. An enquiry to the
list said to look in /usr/share/applications/kde/kcontrol.desktop. If you
open this file while su'ed to root, at the bottom of the file is a line as
below.
NoDisplay=true (which means it won't show up on the menu)
Simply changing this to.
NoDisplay=false, and saving,
Will by some miracle add it to KDE's main menu.

Personally I prefer kcontrol, rather than the new systemsettings.

See the link below, that shows kcontrol still there with KDE4.0
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/4.0/kdebase/workspace/

I hope that I havn't put my foot in it, as I don't have Fedora 9's cd's
downloaded yet (just started on disk 4 on dialup), so don't have it
installed.

All the best.

Nigel.

btw. What's this Akademy that you're going to?