PAE kernel and 4GB of memory

Howard Wilkinson howard at cohtech.com
Thu Jul 24 12:49:34 UTC 2008

I am looking for a definitive answer to the question of where the PAE
kernels become useful. I have seen various articles that mention needing
PAE kernels if you have more then 4GB of physical memory in a 32-bit
processor environment. I have also seen statements that say you need
them if you have 4GB or more of memory. Now which is right? Also, even
if you need a PAE kernel because the last few bytes are not addressable
when you have exactly 4GB is this useful or is the trade off of larger
page tables and pages going to eat any benefit of being able to address
these few bytes and if so when does the PAE kernel become useful?

Howard.