Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Thu Jul 24 16:20:05 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 08:35:23AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> I suggest your participate more into these communities, learn about the GNU
>> GPL (and not about some imaginary license you keep bringing about), and then
>> advocate it to the people who don't know.
>
> I can't advocate it because I believe its terms are immoral.

That's rich! Made my day already :)

>>> No, I think proprietary software is reasonable
>>
>> I think this wrap ups very well all your argument. You start from a
>> premise that I fundamentally reject as absurd, and from the absurd
>> anything can be deduced.
>
> Proprietary works are a side issue here as I am more concerned about the
> restrictions against combinations with MPL, CDDL, orginal BSD and other
> less resticted licenses, but do you think it is reasonable to require
> payment for your work in any field?  And if so, how is creating software
> different from other work?

To require payment for my work? Absolutely. Now how do you define
payment? I can see many forms of payment:
  * cash
  * self satisfaction
  * benemerity
  * gratefulness
  * ...

And I fully support that people develop GPL'ed software for hire.

>>> but BSD, MIT, MPL, CDDL,   Apache, and similar less restricted
>>> licenses are about sharing.  GPL is about taking away other people's
>>> choices.
>>
>> How can something that isn't there be taken away? The GNU GPL adds to
>> people's choices. The default is no choice at all.
>
> The GPL is no different than a proprietary license in that respect.

Now I am *sure* you are trolling.

Rui

--
Kallisti!
Today is Setting Orange, the 59th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?