F8 NetworkManager going crazy at startup

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 16:49:30 UTC 2008

Christoph Höger wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 23.07.2008, 16:18 -0700 schrieb Konstantin Svist:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've noticed a problem with NM recently (might've happened after a
>> system update, not 100% sure when it started).
>> When I log into KDE, NM starts connecting to the network. It used to
>> connect eth0 if it was available, but nowadays it seems to both do that
>> and attempt connecting to the wifi access point as well (or instead).
>> After some chaotic motions on my part it settles down and connects eth0.
>>
>> What makes it do that and how do I make it stop?
>>

>> Thanks
>>

> Right Mouse on nm-applet -> edit connections -> your wifi connection ->
> edit -> disable automatic start should do.

You mean set the wifi connection to manual?
The great thing about NM so far was that it automatically chose between
the multiple connections -- and ethernet always had priority unless
overridden by hand. If it'll be manual from now on, what's the point?

My *workaround* is right-click on nm-applet -> uncheck enable wireless.