How do I set up networked printers in F9 ?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 24 19:37:44 UTC 2008

On Thursday 24 July 2008 19:48:21 linuxguy wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 11:31 -0700, Aldo Foot wrote:
> > > What connection should I use for the 1720DN and where do I go from
> > > there ?
> >
> > Just use AppSocket/HP JetDirect. Enter the IP or hostname in the
> > hostname field and leave the port number 9100 alone. In the
> > next step select the printer from the database or provide your own
> > PPD if you have it.
>
> Excellent advice, Adam.   It worked like a charm.  Both printers are now
> set up.
>
> Thanks for posting.
>
> Another question... any idea how to use the scanner on the HP printer
> over the network ?  Its an officeJet 6210.

Have you actually tried it?  You may find that GIMP or xsane can already see
it.

If not, install hplip and run (as root) hp-setup.  It will probably pick up
the configuration you've already done for the printer - if not just put the
same settings in.  Scanning should work perfectly when it's finished.

Anne