Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 24 20:49:37 UTC 2008

> others give up their rights.
> >>
> >> Taking away legitimate rights, yes, that would be
> immoral.
> >
> > Taking  away any right is immoral.
> >
> So you are saying that commercial, closed source, software
> is
> immoral. So selling the software instead of giving it away
> is also
> immoral. For one I can agree with you.
I agree too :)

> Mikkel
> --

It might be immoral and dishonest, we can get a crack and get on with life :)

For one, I have seen many friends share copies of MS Office, with regular key and with a generator if it fails.  I try to convince them that OpenOffice is great, but they tell me that I am a crazy, out of this world person that always challenges many things from this world.  They say that I am a rebel without a cause.  They call me the "Linux Guy", or the "Linux Dude", they will not run linux, just because I use it.  They say that Microsoft is also free and works better than linux.  "Hey I did not pay for it, it came with my computer", that is what they tell me.  How do you explain to them that they paid the "Micro$oft Tax".

The same applies here with this never ending question.  Why GNU/Linux?  Where I prefer to say just Linux?  I was wanting to acknowledge the efforts of a person who has been very vocal and nice in the ongoing discussion of the GNU/Linux argument, Mr. Alexandre Oliva.   But some other guy, thinks he is so superior that makes all the great effort put on by Mr. Oliva go to waste :(

I have seen many arguments for and against.  I will say this, be it wrong or right, I do not care.

When God created the Ten Commandments, they were set in stone!  They were called "The Ten Commandments".  Moses was the right hand of God.  He did not say Moses's/Ten Commandments.  Similarly, the linux kernel was built on top of GNU utilities, the operating system gathered a great deal of strength and was called by many Linux.  When this powerful system that we have grown to love, (except the GPL*) was created there was nothing set in stone.  They should of named it GNU/Linux from the beginning.  The argument(s) to change the name at this stage of the game is better spent fixing the terms of the GPL so that more people can benefit from it, instead of question its restrictions and clauses.

I also pose another question, who will have the last word in this never ending thread that eventually will die off and line in the history of fedora-list most famous all time threads of all time!  ?

Regards,

Antonio