F9 - cups - windows shared printer

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jul 24 22:58:16 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 22:52 +0000, g wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> <snip>
>

>   On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 21:21 +0000, g wrote:
> >> Craig White wrote:
> >> <snip>
> >> not at all. what ever churns your butter.
> >>
> >> if such an easy change is too much for you, then do not. after all it
> >> is your system to fight with.
> >>
> >> as for me, i did spend a couple minutes to make change, as i found thru
> >> google, and it did work. granted, it may something different in your
> >> system.
> >>
> >> i do know/recall that i did have to add myself to 'lp' group, under
> >> mandrake 9 and 10, when i could not print as a 'user', but could as
> >> 'root'.
> > ----
>
> > I would rather remove the line once in a while than start mucking with
> > system groups but more to the point and the one you seem to be missing
> > is that the bandaid approach you suggest helps no one else. I'm far more
> > interested in a real solution to the problem because others are sure to
> > experience this issue.
>
> i am in full understanding of your reasoning and desire to find *where*
> failure is coming from.
>
> with no more response than you have of one other poster so far, would
> this not tend to show that it would be something you 2 have in common
> in configuring your system? granted, it is something that should not
> happen. but it is.
>
> therefore i would think that you and andy need to see what you have in
> common in setups, permissions, and paths, etc.
>
> also, a request for others who are using cups, if they would check
> cupsd.conf and printers.conf files to see if authentication line
> is present.
>
> then, if you have a large response of line present, you have narrowed
> you search to other than just cups.
>
> just a suggestion. use it or not.
----
Not a chance...

because I reverted to distribution version of cupsd.conf and have only 2
printers configured and the configuration is fairly basic.

I put in a bugzilla report.

I know that Tim Waugh usually monitors this list but guess he must be on
a summer vacation because he is the master of all things printers on
RH/Fedora.

We'll get to the bottom of it - and I'm pretty patient and suspect that
Tim will sound off in a few days.

Craig